MND is a rare disease. Motor neurones are nerve cells that convey messages from the brain or spinal cord to the muscles. When these cells become damaged the messages cannot get through leading to gradual loss of motor skills, weakness and muscle wasting.
Absolute Healthcare will work with you to create a personalised care plan to help you maintain independence in your own home and manage your symptoms well. We will talk to you, listen and find out what is important in your life and your personal needs and preferences.
Some of the symptoms of Motor Neurone Disease:
- Gripping objects, picking them up or lifting them
- ‘Foot drop’ due to weak ankles
- Walking, sometimes one leg will drag
- Speech may become slurred
- Swallowing so that tube feeding becomes necessary
- Breathing difficulties